How To Start A Blog, The Quick & Easy Steps!
So you have an itch to start an awesome blog that looks professional and can even make some money down the road, good for you! As a blogger myself, I can tell you it’s a great adventure, a lot of fun, and touching at times when you receive such wonderful comments and reviews. It’s the ‘now-a-days’ approach to getting your voice heard (and who doesn’t want to be heard?!)
Okay, enough of the babble, let’s get down to business!
On your mark, get set, GO!…
Pick A Domain Name! This will be the name of your blog, it’s important to pick a good name AND an available one. So dust off that handy notebook and brainstorm, think of what your blog is going to be about (Niche), what your purpose is of this blog (selling certain items, just writing, marketing a service, etc…) You want your domain name to explain, in the fewest words possible, what your blog is. EXAMPLE: if you’re selling lamps and tips for fixing lamps/lights, you could name your blog ‘Bright Ideas.’ OR take my blog name for example… I live in the Twin Cities area in MN and I write and cover a few topics, not just one niche…(I give my view on things while following up with facts!) so I came up with ‘TwinCitesView.com.’
Get a great deal on start-up packages with hosting services (lucky you!) I purchased my domain name and hosting package through Bluehost, I found them to have the best reviews and professional look, as well as the BEST PRICE for superior quality. Their support team is excellent, super helpful in answering questions in a timely manner (no waiting people!) I am very happy with Bluehost and I’m sure you will be too!
Click here to start your own blog!
Select a plan that will suit your blog, this is what the page will look like!
Sign up time! Pick that awesome name for your blog and type it in the box!
Next step will be to fill out your account information (just like anything else you sign up for!)
Almost done with the Bluehost sign up process… This is the package information (just as it states!) you can pick a few extra things if you’d like.
Last step, payment… Fill it out and congrats you are all signed up!
This is what you see after the payment you provided…
Set your lovely password to sign into your account, the page will look like this…
This is what you’re signing into, it’s called your Cpanel (the behind the scenes of your blog to set it up).
Welcome to your Cpanel of Bluehost, now you’re going to download WordPress for your blog ‘behind the scenes’ work… THAT”S THE NEXT STEP!
Install WordPress! What is WordPress, excellent question you smart person! WordPress is a platform which you will work on, this is how you write posts and publish them to the world. WordPress is how you operate your blog, the behind the scenes work that you control and make your blog look beautiful and awesome. It’s simple and filled with valuable tools and help to get you started. You’re almost done now, how exciting!
Now it’s time to install your WordPress, go ahead, I’ll wait…
Set up the login…
Next screen will look like this… installation…
Congrats! your installation is complete.
Browse the themes for what you want your blog to look like (the layout!) Pick a theme that you love! There are free themes you can choose from OR you can pay a one time fee for an over the top awesomely attractive layout to your blog site. I decided to look over many choices, some free ones were pretty nice and simple, BUT, of course, the one that grabbed me the most had a price on it… I paid about $50 for my theme and I’m very happy with it! My advice is to go for what grabs you, because you’re going to be looking at it a lot, so you better like it! If you happen to fall in love with a free theme than great! BUT if a free theme doesn’t sweep you off your feet know that paying for a good theme is a great investment!
See the screen below? This is the sign in you’ll see every time you want to work on your blog…
This is where your master work is done, go ahead and get your blog looking beautiful! The left side has a list of everything you’ll need, like pages (you can put on the menu bar), Posts you write to share to the world, appearance, plugins…
Start blogging! You’re done with the initial set up of you blog, NOW you can start having fun decorating your blog site, writing and publishing your work, getting your message, your story, your voice out to eager readers!
Before I let you go, I thought I’d give you a few tips on blogging (so I’m not throwing you out into the world without tools to succeed- planting the seed, so to speak!)
- Add plugins! (on your Dashboard, left side, click on ‘plugins’ then click ‘add’ plugin on next screen) like social media buttons to share on Facebook, Twitter, Pinterest, Google+, Tumblr, etc… (spread your articles anywhere you can to help attract more visitors to your site!)
- Use your Media to download photos to your front page, posts, pages, anywhere you want (people LOVE to look at photos, so dress up your site!)
- Pick colors that are pleasant to many people (too bright, or annoying colors can drive people away). Stick to soft blues, greens, or sophisticated black and white (and the in-between shades of grey).
- Join Facebook, if you haven’t already! On FB they have blogging communities that will help you get the word out of your new blog site, you can ask questions and help drive traffic to your site. Just sign in to FB and go to the search engine and type in ‘blogging groups’ numerous communities will pop up and you can start joining!
- If you want to figure out how to do certain ‘extra’ things to your site, you can always UTUBE it too! (you can find anything on UTUBE!) Look up ‘best WordPress plugins’ to start with. Look up ‘how to add pages to a menu bar.’ etc…
Well, good luck and have fun with it! If you have any questions feel free to ‘connect with me.’
Click here to start your own blog!