Don’t Tell Me, SHOW Me!
Actions Speak Louder Than Words
You’re sitting in a bakery, you have your coffee and blueberry muffin…You’re starring out of the window looking at the world passing by, fun ole people watching… You’re excited as you just made plans to meet up with that special person in your life. This person you like (friend or more- I’ll let you be the judge of that!) is sending mixed signals at times. When you’re together it’s fun, you click, they’re that perfect fitting baseball glove on your hand, you’re two peas in a pod! Yet so far (sometimes) they seem unreliable, a little iffy to make plans with, they don’t communicate all too well and so you’re left wondering, ‘do these actions show me that they care for my feelings, are their intentions for the good of me or just them?!’ They can tell you until they’re blue in the face all the great things you want to hear, but when it comes down to it,’what are their ACTIONS saying?!’
Defining ‘Actions Speak Louder Than Words’
Prov. Cliché What you do is more significant than what you say. thefreedictionary.com
what someone does is more important than what someone says. thefreedictionary.com
How To Show The ‘Action’
- Be honest in what you say and follow through. (yes Honey! I WILL give you a shoulder massage tonight… don’t you fall asleep, you better rub those shoulders!)
- Compromise on what to do so everyone gets the best of both worlds. (Fine! I’ll watch your movie tonight, but you’ve got to put out later! Ha!- yup, I went there!… you’ve got yourself a DEAL Mr. now go make us some popcorn!)
- Communicate effectively and in a timely manner. If you’re running late or can’t make an event, let them know ASAP.
- Listen to the other person, it shows you care. (you can act like you’re listening by nodding, smiling, making that lovely eye contact).
- Be thoughtful! think about the others’ feelings. Put yourself in their shoes! And dang it, if you see something you know they would like (a tasty treat, then buy it on the way to meeting them and give that fantastic morsel to them).
- Go out of your way to do something nice every once in a while! You’re tired as hell, but you still show up just to see your bud, your pal, your whatever!
- Be reliable. If you said you’ll be there, than you better be there! (you can be off the hook if a bear comes in your path and you can’t maneuver around that scary animal that could eat you!)
- Basically, just have good intentions & SHOW Them! It’s not that hard…
Remember people, if you’re someone who disappoints others a little too much, than it’s time to work on that! It WILL damage a relationship if it’s done too often. Be honest with the people around you! No games with their feelings. Don’t make plans if you don’t intend to show up and you know you’re going to cancel. Don’t tell people things you don’t really mean. Instead, be the ‘lean on me’ type person (don’t act like you don’t know that song!) Just treat others the way you’d like to be treated (and Lord knows, you want honest, thoughtful, reliable people in your life- so give that back- otherwise at some point it will catch up to you and bite you in the butt!)… that’s my food for thought today!
“Actions speak louder than words, but not nearly as often.” ~Mark Twain
1st photo by: msmaloneysclass.wordpress.com
2nd photo by: followpics.me
3rd photo by: picturequotes.com