The Art Of Being A Good Role Model
Throughout your childhood, your teen life, and your adult life there are people in particular that stand out among the rest, who were they? They were the people who helped mold you into the person you are today. They are the ones who helped guide you and inspire you to be your best. They are your role models. So what is a role model? what does it take to be a good role model? and can anyone be a role model? Let’s find out…
What Is A Role Model?
Role models are meant to inspire, instruct, and to set a good example. Whether you’re trying to teach your children core values or showing your students the proper way to conduct themselves in a learning environment, the most important thing you can do is to be honest, thoughtful, and consistent. Role models don’t have to be perfect, but they do have to show that everyone makes mistakes and that it’s important to be accountable for them. wikihow
What Makes A Good Role Model?
- Treat EVERYONE with respect (not just family and friends!)
- Practice what you preach. Follow your own morals/values/rules!
- Apologize when you make a mistake. The most important thing is that you can do is to acknowledge the behavior and apologize for it instead of pretending that nothing ever happened.
- Follow Through. This shows reliability and strengthens the trust/bond.
- Be supportive and encouraging.
- Help guide them to a positive and healthy path in life (you want what’s best for them).
- Think aloud. you can help them out more by showing them that you do have to struggle to find the right answer in certain situations by thinking aloud and inviting them into the process with you. wikihow.com
- Listen to them. Everyone wants to be heard!
- Be there for them. Give them your undivided attention/time.
- Be consistent. This helps provide stability and lessens the confusion of things and rules always changing. With no consistency comes lower dependability!
- Be courageous. Get out there and face your fears, this will only inspire others to do the same.
Become A Role Model
The good news is, you can be a role model (anyone can!)… It’s important to be a good role model to others. So please, let us think about the future of the youth in our world. Let us inspire them to be their best. Let us be a good leader who follows the guidelines (above) to being the best possible role model to all who look up to us (no matter the age!) It’s quite simple when you think about it, it’s just being a good person!
If you want to get involved in America and help make a difference, check out Big Brothers Big Sisters Of America, click here!
Be good to all, including yourself!
photo 1 by: quotespictures.com